For several thousand years prior to the European's arrival in California, the Native American Costonoan and Bay Miwok tribes lived off the land as gatherers, hunters, and fishermen. Given the mild climate, they remained year round in the area living in permanent dwellings. The early sailing expeditions of the 1500s documented their brief Indian encounters as sometimes welcoming and sometimes hostile. The following 150 year were a period of very little foreign contact as the Spanish explored and colonized Mexico and Latin America. Here is a map showing the various tribes in the Americas. Map
The Spanish, after establishing missions in Mexico, began further expansion with General Jose de Galvez sending Father Serra and Captain Portola northward to establish missions and presidios at San Diego and Monterey in 1769 and 1770. The earliest recorded sightings of Contra Costa was by Don Pedro Fages in the spring of 1772. By 1775, the San Francisco presidio and mission was founded by Captain de Anza and Joaquin Moraga who colonized San Francisco. The same year they conducted an initial survey of the Bay Area and completed it the following year. During the mission period (1760s-1840s), Indians were brought to the missions, Christianized, and trained in trades such as ploughmen, weavers, tanners, shoemakers, carpenters, blacksmiths, and masons. Many died in the missions due to new diseases introduced by foreigners and unhealthy living conditions as their traditional customs and ways of living did not adapt well to life in the missions. They lost their traditions, ability to live independently, their land, and became dependent on the mission system. Here is a map of the early expeditions in America during this period. Map
The missions were loyal to Spain and after Mexico declared independence in 1821, they refused to pledge new allegiance to and showed open resentment toward Mexico. This stance became a factor in the secularization of the missions beginning in the 1830s and left the Indians to fend for themselves in new, different, and often hostile surroundings. Kit Carson mentioned seeing thousands of Indians living on ranchos in 1829. A few short years later he commented they had all disappeared and saw many bone piles burial mounds. The Hudson Bay Co. expedition of 1833 introduced a plague of cholera and smallpox that killed as much as half of the California Indians. (22) They were " hunted, captured, and domesticated, put into service" according to a John Marsh letter of 1846 (21). In areas outside the reach of the missions, tribes fought each other and although the Indians often accommodated the initial trickle of miners, the flood of miners and merchants in 1849 started clashes with the Indians lasting for the next twenty years. While American occupation continued and the Indian wars finally ending in 1873, the remaining Native Americans were sent to reservation land. An estimated 300,000 living California Native Americans including 7,000 Costanoans in 1769 were reduced to 5,260 according to the 1890 US Census, a tragically sad ending to a once proud nation and culture.
During the Spanish occupation, individuals or foreigners were not permitted to settle or own land. After Mexico won independence in 1821 and claimed California, these rules were reversed and land ownership and permanent residency began. Early residents and their relatives filed for grants such as Don Ygnacio Martinez, the first commandante and Don Francisco Castro, a sergeant, of the San Francisco Presidio. A total of 813 land grants were issued from 1775 - 1846, 42 percent to persons of non-Mexican ancestry. Many of the grants were ultimately dismissed due to errors, omissions, and fraud. The land grants of the East Bay include:
During the 1840s, the American movement west increased and culminated with the Gold Rush of '49 fueling the massive influx of new people. Soon after President Polk declared war with Mexico on May 13, 1846, Commodore John D. Sloat assumed military control of the state, marking the beginning of the transition from Mexican to American control, governance, and law and ending with the formation of a provisional California state government in 1849 and acceptance to the Union in 1850.
Transitioning from Mexican to American law created great confusion and the rancho owners, being unfamiliar with American law and procedure, hired newly arriving lawyers to manage their legal affairs including land ownership issues. Many factors such as legal costs, conflicts of interest, lack of business acumen, the land tax burden, massive influx of new pioneer settlers, miners, fur traders, beaver trappers, merchants, squatters, lawyers, judges, surveyors, opportunists, and speculators, all contributed to the original rancho owners losing nearly all their land. Fraud by unscrupulous American lawyers, promoters, and even former Mexican governors resulted in land ownership diverted to the wrong people. A common fraud used at the time was back dating land documents. Horace W. Carpentier, a lawyer representing many rancho owners including Victor Castro, was soon suing him and others. Over time, he gained ownership of one-half of Rancho Laguna de los Palos Colorados' 13,326 acres and other rancho land. By 1893, Victor Castro controlled only 549 of the original 19,633 acres. Another sad ending in the history of Contra Costa.
Victor and Juan Castro identified a large block of land which was not described in any land grants of the time. Since both Victor and Juan Jose had served in the military and were due compensation from the Mexican government, they applied for a grant for Rancho El Sobrante which was based on the boundaries of surrounding Ranchos. This area of about 22,000 acres was bounded on the northwest where I-80 and San Pablo Dam Roads cross, then southeast following Wildcat Creek to Vollmer Peak on the southwest, then east to a hill above Tahos Road in Orinda, then northeast following a line averaging one and a half miles east of San Pablo Creek to the northeast point which is just east of the junction of Castro Ranch Road and Alhambra Valley Road, then finally west arching above and crossing San Pablo Creek back to the northwest corner.
They were awarded the grant from Governor Juan B. Alvarado that contained ambiguous language and inherently loosely defined boundaries of the adjoining Ranchos. This set the stage for one of the largest land cases in California history. In 1883, after 42 years of legal wrangling, President Chester Arthur signed the petition defining legal ownership. More lawsuits were filed until 1909 when the final report of the El Sobrante partitions was settled.
A league of 3,900 acres of the rancho was sold in 1847 to Ward and Smith, a San Francisco
merchant business, for $800. Smith's brother moved from the East and lived on
the property from 1849 - 1851.
They sold to Mowry W. Smith and Lewis Brady (deed book 4, pg 340, 416) as a
result of severe financial problems with their business and Smith's failed development of Martinez.
He soon went bankrupt and committed suicide in 1853.
That same year, Victor Castor mortgaged some land to Edson Adams, a large land owner, and Andrew Moon. Three years later in 1856, Edson Adams was awarded an interest at the south end of the Castro land for $1,500 at a sheriff's or tax sale. The Ward and Smith League split into three tracts and ownership passed in thirds to Joseph Johnson to Lauterwasser in 1857 for $2,000, Ira Grover, and Laurentz Huertzel in1859. It wasn't long before they started experiencing financial difficulty and between 1865 and 1874, the three owners divested themselves of the land totaling 2,957 acres to Miller and Lux. Huertzel did kept a portion of his third.
Alice Marsh, the daughter of pioneer John Marsh, inherited half her father's vast holdings. She married William Walker Camron in 1871 who quickly sold her inherited Rancho Los Meganos that same year. During the next two years he built a 22 room mansion in Oakland and started the Bank of Martinez. In 1875, he purchased 500 acres from Miller and Lux and started plans for a toll road to Berkeley. The following year, unable to obtain the needed right of way over the other parcel, he paid $50,000 for the remaining holdings of 2,457 acres. In 1876, K. W. Taylor made a survey for Camron describing his holdings as Orinda Park. In 1882, W Minto and Theodore Wagner did a detailed survey (B) of Orinda Park and Oak View Ranch. Camron was having a series of business problems and by 1881 he lost the mansion in Oakland and was quickly selling off land, cattle, and horses to raise money. He sold parcels to Eugene Sullivan (1879, 215 acres), Solomon E Alden (1879, 612 acres), Herman and Alice Sandow (1880, 360 acres) , W Minto (1881, 72 acres; 1882, 100 acres) (A) , and Edward (Elisha) Dubois (1883, all numbered lots in Orinda Park except Lot 2 and 23). In the end, Camron deserted his family and was completely broke.
Back in 1860, Adams and Carpentier, another large land owner, filed suit against Lauterwasser, Grover, and Huertzel for recovery of possession of their rights in the Ward and Smith league stemming from the Adams-Castro loan. They lost the suit the following year but still not satisfied, they extracted money from the three owners to never pursue any further claim in the Ward and Smith league. Although this case was resolved, it marked the beginning of nearly 50 years of legal ownership battles over the Sobrante. An 1893 land survey laid the groundwork for the lawsuit filed by Edson F. Adams in 1896, again claiming a share of the Sobrante. The final decree in 1909 settled once and for all, all legal ownership of the land within the Sobrante. The final decree (2) described 8 major parcels and Edson Adams' persistence paid off as he eventually owned over 5,000 acres of land from this settlement and previous lawsuits and purchases. The report described the Sobrante's 19,893 acres as the following tracts (in acres):
- A: Ward and Smith league (3,872),
- B: Kelly League ( 4,098),
- C: Thornton Tract (1000),
- D: Baden Tract (507),
- E: Brisac Tract (972),
- F: Welch Tract (70),
- G: Castro Tract (492) further split into Clancy, Galpin, Jacobs estates,
- H: Boas Tract (160),
- "surplus" (8,816).
The 1882 survey (B) shows the name of M Santee on Lot 2 of the Orinda Park tract. He was a local surveyor and there is no official record of him having any legal interest in the property. Thomas D. Minto and D. G. Moore purchased Lot 2 of Orinda Park from Cameron in 1884 (A) and sold it the following year to John G Hoyt at a profit, apparently an uncommon event at the time. John G. Hoyt accumulated land in 1885 with purchases from Thomas D. Minto, Annie Seitz, and Clinton Tripp (1). In 1909, the final property ownership lawsuit of Rancho Sobrante land was settled and recorded on March 17, 1910 (2). John was named the legal owner of Lot 2 and owners of the other tracts of the Sobrante were identified, writing the final chapter of 50 years of confusion and legal battles over this land.
In 1913, John M. and Emma S Foy purchased Lot 2 from John Hoyt (3). John Foy died sometime in 1915 or 1916 and his widow Emma Squires Foy gained title to his substantial holdings of real property in Oakland, Berkeley, Orinda Park Lot 2, bonds, stocks, ownership in various businesses, and deeds of trusts which were transferred to an Estate established in 1916 (3.1).
On July 18, 1924, several documents were filed describing a multi-ownership transfer and split of Lot 2. Emma S. Foy transferred ownership of 59.5 of the original 63.3 acres to Frank and Maria Teiche (4). Emma kept a small 3.7 acre parcel in the southeast corner of Lot 2 which later became EBMUD property. From the 59.5 acres, Frank divided this parcel and sold a 45.1 acre parcel to W. J. and Marguerite Reardon and J. D. and Nora Murphy. This portion of Lot 2 was developed by these two couples and the Orinda Oaks subdivision (5) and Orinda Oaks Company (6) were filed in December 1924. Frank retained the two parcels totaling 14.5 acres for future development.
The lots in the subdivision are defined in blocks: A through L and includes basically all the property on or off Claremont excluding Stanton Ct and most of the lots on the south end of California and Stanton avenues. The majority of the lots are approximately 60 x 120 ft but many are irregular to fit the contour of the land, layout of the roads, and subdivision boundaries. Over the years, multiple single lots were joined together to form larger parcels. The first lot sold in Orinda Oaks was recorded in May 1926 and a total of five lots were recorded during the first three years (7). Lot sales did pick up except during the Great Depression and some years following. The Caldecott Tunnel opened in 1937, opening up the land east of the hills.
In 1931 and 1933, Nora Murphy obtained title to the bulk of the lots in Orinda Oaks (9) as it appeared the Orinda Oaks Company was dissolving. In 1939, Nora Murphy redeveloped Orinda Oaks areas with new roads built to county specification and added utilities. On June 15, 1940, Nora Murphy recorded a set of covenants, conditions, and restrictions on the lots she and a few others owned in the subdivision (10).
Many private roads in the County were declared public during the late 1940s and early 1950s. The majority of Orinda Oaks roads are declared county roads; however, there are small sections that remain private. On June 12, 1950, the Contra Costa Board of Supervisors declared the portion of California Ave from Claremont northward to the northerly property line of Block F, lot 9 (63 California Ave) as county road (11), leaving the remaining northern portion a private section. The upper end of Claremont is private and the south end of California is also private.
The Orinda Oaks Homeowners Association was active in the 40s-50s. It was one of many local neighborhood organizations making up the Orinda Improvement Association. This group also published the Orinda News and in 1945, the Orinda Association was created by merging the Orinda Improvement Association and the Orindans, another local resident group. Chuck Blue was a past president of the Orinda Oaks Association and spoke of typical water, utilities, school, fire, and road concerns.
For a picture of the current parcel map layered over a USGS topographic map, click here.
Orinda Court and remainder of Lot 2 Between 1925 and 1952, Frank Teiche sold the remaining land he retained after the Orinda Oaks split. In 1925, Frank filed the Orinda Court subdivision map (6a) covering the land south of Manzanita, east of San Pablo Dam Road, to the creek. As the general area grew, so did the presence of the power and water company and various disputes. The water company wanted watershed land and the electric company wanted utility right of way. Emma Foy first granted right of way to the Great Western Power Company then sold her 3.7 acre parcel to EBMUD (7a). EBMUD sued Frank Teiche in 1929, winning an easement over his property 60 days later. He immediately sold a .7 acre parcel to EBMUD and by 1933, EBMUD owned all the Lot 2 land bounded by San Pablo Dam Road, Manzanita, San Pablo Creek, and a line extending North Lane across the filter plant to the creek.
The remaining property of Lot 2 was pie shaped covering the lots on the north side of the paved portion of North Lane, and the southern most lots of California and Stanton. This areas was never formally subdivided and developed but rather sold off parcels in individual transactions. Frank and his new wife Hanna sold a 2.7 acre parcel to the Smiths in 1938 (8) and after Frank's death in April 1949, Hanna sold the remaining parcels in 1951 to Boies and Soule, and Schreiber. Click here to view a map of the Lot 2 splits.
Orinda Villa Park lies adjacent north of Orinda Oaks. (Sol Brae, Stanton Court. Los Amigos, Monte Vista). The tract to the north was purchased by W. Minto from WW Camron in 1882 and covered the Acacia, Bobolink, Sol Brae, Monte Vista areas. He built his home near Camino Pablo between Claremont and Sol Brae. He has been incorrectly cited as a past owner of Lot 2 most likely due to the quick ownership flip of Thomas Minto and the same last name. By 1901 W. Minto goes bankrupt and his property is auctioned to William Spencer then to Frank and Marie Bateman in 1904 and W. J. Mortimer in 1913. The Orinda Villa Park Land Company and subdivision were filed in 1914 and covered the Minto parcel southwest of the Dam Road (3).
Orinda Vista The southwest section of the W Minto tract covering the Monte Vista Road area was subdivided in 1941.
Hacienda del Orinda Jose and Miguel de Laveaga purchased 1,178 acres of Orinda Park from Dubois in 1887. Philip Barth's name shows in this deal as as he was the agent/owner/broker. The deal included all numbered lots except two previously sold (Lot 2, 23). Jose received the eastern half of Lot 14 and lots 8-13; Miguel received the western half of Lot 14 and Lots 15-21. Jose died before developing these parcels and Edward, Miguel's son became the primary developer of the Orinda Country Club, neighboring areas of Hacienda del Orinda, Orinda Park Terrace, and the commercial areas of Orinda Village.
Orinda Park Terrace The homes in the El Toyonal area reside in this 1922 subdivision. Lake Orinda was originally built as a water supply then later cemented and converted to recreational use for homeowners and prospective buyers. Orinda Park Pool was formed in 1937 to maintain the property and manage its use.
Garden of Eden and Cottage Acres Small subdivision split from Orinda Park Terrace. (Rio Vista, Cresta Blanca, Los Conejos, La Bolista, 1927)
Orinda Estates A stone sign at the corner of Manzanita and San Pablo Dam marks the entrance to the small subdivision on the northern border of the golf coursed on Acacia and Hacienda Circle.
Lind-O-Rinda Estates and Snug Harbor cover the area of Manzanita, and Bobolink. Built on Lot 23 owned by George Sandow and the northeast portion of the W Minto property. Bobolink.
Sleepy Hollow Situated on the northwestern portion of the 612 acre S. E. Alden tract. Was acquired by nephew J. O. Minor and niece Ann Miner.
Fairway Acres A small subdivision located on the west side of Miner Road before entering Sleepy Hollow on Oak Arbor and Hacienda Road.
Monte Vista - The area north of highway 24 along Charles Hill Road.
Prior to 1916, San Pablo Creek was alive with trout and steelhead and 10 - 13 pound salmon during the winter. This ended in 1916 when EBMUD started a three year project to build San Pablo Dam. The one lane dirt road between El Sobrante and Orinda followed the northeast side of the creek and disappeared as the dam filled. A new two lane asphalt road was constructed hugging the water's southwest edge. Since it was narrow and winding, the road was built with a center crown intended to keep cars from crossing over; however, the crown actually increased head on crashes as cars got stuck on the other side of the road. Much of the old road remains today and is visible between the current road and the water's edge. The current road was built in 1957 where it is sited today. (20)
By 1965, Briones Reservoir was completed, damming Bear Creek between San Pablo Reservoir and the point where it meets Happy Valley Road. The old maps show the road followed Bear Creek northeast until the canyon turned southeast. At this junction, the road continued north and connected where Hampton Road runs into the water today. The other road went east following the creek to the end of the reservoir where it met Happy Valley Road and then headed northeast onto Old Briones Road which passes through Briones Park. This road continued to a point where Reliez Valley and Alhambra Valley meet today .
Joaquin Moraga's wife was Maria Francisca Castro. Her father owned Rancho San Pablo. Maria's brothers Victor and Juan Jose Castro owned Rancho El Sobrante, and Maria and Joaquin own Rancho Lagua de los Palos Colorados. Victor Castro' wife was Luisa Martinez. Juan Jose married Petra Bernal whose family was once part owner in the Moraga rancho. One of Joaquin's daughters, Guadalupe married Vicente Martinez and Maria Moraga married into the Briones family. General Juan B. Alvarado issued the Rancho Sobrante grant to his brother-in-laws, Victor and Juan Jose Castro. William Camron's father was killed in a steamboat explosion and at the age of 11, William moved in with Thomas Brown. Brown's son was Elam Brown, who eventually purchased all of Rancho Acalanes, surveyed much of the surrounding rancho land, and became the Surveyor General.. Herman and Alice Sandow split their holdings giving 360 acres to their daughter Ida and son George. A few years after Ida married General Thomas Wagner she received 241 acres known as Oak View Ranch in 1882. George received 125 acres (Fairway Acres and Lot 23). Emma Squires Foy owned Lot 2 and in 1938, a 2.7 acres parcel of this lot was sold to Thomas Wylie and Dorothy Squires Smith (assuming some kind of relationship). S. E. Alden's nephew J. O. Miner and niece Ann Miner became owners of the property developed later as Sleepy Hollow.
The Orinda Post Office was situated on the Orinda Oaks land starting in 1895 until mail box delivery began in 1903. There are a couple of waterfalls in the creek running along the south end of the subdivision. They are located along the creek at the subdivision's west corner. Warning: This area is very dangerous, very steep, slippery, and quite unstable. I do NOT recommend anybody explore this area. It is also rumored that caves are to be found up the hill and they may actually be remnants of an old mine. If so, I have not hear who or what was being explored. There are a number of "hidden" lots which follow the deep canyon along the south west border of the subdivision. The planned road was never built and it was to follow the canyon at the curve on Piedmont and bend around until it met the road which dead ends at the end of the dirt road that begins where Redwood Terrace turns up the ridge.
On the subdivision map at Block E lot 19 and 20, you will find an unusual small square parcel. Early in my research I noticed this but by happenstance I discovered a trail that led me to Frank Teiche, son of the original Lot2 developer. This 40x40 foot parcel marks where there once was a live spring at the time of the subdivision filing in 1924. During 1927-1929, the water company laid a major fresh water pipe to move water from the Orinda filter plant to the west side of the hills. This pipe is still in use today and supplies nearly a million residents on the west side of the hill. While laying this pipe, the flow of water to the spring was disrupted and the spring went dormant. Frank sued the water company and won. This was one of a very few lawsuits related to the water pipe project where the water company actually lost.
|Ref||Date Recorded||Grantor||Grantee||Book||Page (s)||notes|
|1875||Miller and Lux||WW Camron||deed 500 acres|
|1876||Miller and Lux||WW Camron||deed 2455 acres|
|A||1881||WW Camron||W. Minto||40||115||deed 73 acres $1825|
|Mar 17, 1882||WW Camron||W. Minto||41||279||deed 100 acres|
|B||May 8, 1882||WW Camron||Map F-143||Glide 82b||Orinda Park Tract and Oak View Ranch|
|Aug 22, 1884||WW Camron||Thomas D. Minto
D. G. Moore
|46||197||deed Orinda Park Tract Lot 2, 61 acres $2645|
|1||Jan 28, 1885||Thomas D. Minto
D. G. Moore
|John G Hoyt||48||59-60||deed - Orinda Park Tract Lot 2, 61 acres $4000|
|2||Mar 17, 1910||Edson F. Adams||John G. Hoyt||156||1-93||Final decree of Sobrante land - see note 1 below|
|3||Nov 14, 1913||John G. Hoyt||John M.
Emma S Foy
|213||418||deed Lot 2 63.3 acres|
|Aug, 14, 1914||Map 11||263||Orinda Villa Park subdivision map|
|Aug 12, 1915||John G. Hoyt||John M
Emma S Foy
|18||330||sat of deed|
|Jul 24, 1916||Emma S Foy||John Foy, Estate||275||8-18||partial distribution, pg 17 describes to subject property|
|Jun 9, 1922||Frank
|Great Western Power||420||30||Electric utility right of way|
|4||Jul 18, 1924||Emma Foy||Frank Teiche||472||301||deeds 59.6 acres - Lot 2, retains 3.7|
|Jul 18, 1924||Frank
|W. J. Reardon
J. D. Murphy
|473||201||45.1 acres - Lot 2|
|Jul 18, 1924||W. J. Reardon
J. D. Murphy
|Frank Teiche||474||233||deed of trust 45 acres
Merchantile Trust Company, trustee
|5||Dec 16, 1924||Map 19||466-469||Orinda Oaks map (Map
Sheet 1, Sheet 2, Sheet 3 Sheet 4
|6||Dec 30, 1924||W. J. Reardon
J. D . Murphy
|Orinda Oaks Co||476||485||Orinda Oaks Company formed, owners transfer land to new co.|
|6a||Aug 7, 1925||Frank
|492-493||Orinda Court map filed|
|7||May 20, 1926||Orinda Oaks Co.||J. W. Keeley||32||400||First lot sale F-18|
|May 7, 1927||Orinda Oaks Co.||Arvid Anderson||79||433||deed- lot sale|
|June 30, 1927||Orinda Oaks Co.||L B Fromm||84||360||deed - lot sale|
|Jan 3, 1928||Orinda Oaks Co.||Calvert||109||463||deed - lot sale|
|?||Jan 17, 1928||Orinda Oaks Co.||113||352||resolution|
|7a||Jun 13, 1929||Frank Teiche||EBMUD||204||29||EBMUD sues for utility easement on Orinda Ct.|
|Aug 13, 1929||Frank Teiche||EBMUD||193||161||deeds .7 acres of Orinda Ct.|
|Jan 9, 1931||Frank Teiche||Guy Putnam, Faegol||305
|right of way along Manzanita|
|?||Jan 9, 1931||252||483|
|8||Sept 19, 1931||Orinda Oaks Co||Nora Murphy||305||1||deed - Lots H 3,5,6,7; E 53|
|Aug 4, 1933||Orinda Oaks Co||Nora Murphy||322||202||deed - Lots A:1,2,4-9, B:2,11, C:-14; D:1-4, 8-10; E 1-11, 5-26, 28-31,33-38, 41,43,46,47,50; F:1-3, 6-17, 19, 21-24, 26, 27,28; G: 1-5, 7, 11-18, 21, 22, 27, 29-34; H: 2,4,8-10; I: 1,2,4,7-19, 22; J: 1-12; K: 1-19; L: 1-13|
|Aug 31, 1933||Frank Teiche||EBMUD||349||126-127||deeds Orinda Ct.|
|9||June 14, 1938||Frank
Dorothy Squires Smith
|471||30||deed 2.5 acres, west end of North Lane|
|Dec 23, 1939||Frank Teiche||Nora Murphy||531||433||quick claim deed|
|10||June 15, 1940||Nora Murphy||552||29-33||Orinda Oaks CC&R
page 29 30 31 32 33
|Apr 22, 1943||Contra Costa||Frank
|736||281||North Lane declared public|
|11||June 14, 1950||Contra Costa||1574||588||County Road Declaration|
|1951 - 1952||Hanna Teiche||various||1690
|various deeds, right of ways, easements on properties on North Lane, Boies and Soule|
(1) The 1910 document was 93 pages and one of the earlier recordings which were typed. This document is also found in a bound book at the library (see references below).
Map titled "Final report Referees in partition of Rancho Sobrante" dated July 10, 1909 located on a roll at the County Recorder. This large map is part of item 2 in the recorder document section and shows the final order's declaration of legal ownership of the Sobrante land.
History of Orinda, Sorrick, Muir. 1975
Historical Atlas of California, Bush, Warren 1974
(20) Orinda Historical Society - photo poster showing new San Pablo Dam in 1957.
(21) History of Contra Costa County, Purcell: pg 108-110 John Marsh commenting on Indians, pg 187-188 squatters, pg 195 - map of ranchos
(22) Library and Information Access, San Diego State University
Contra Costa Recorder
Contra Costa Historical Society
Contra Costa County Library, Pleasant Hill:
#12-A Major roads in Contra Costa County, 1953
#65 Juan Jose and Victor Castro vs. The United States, Feb 4, 1885 TA McMahon and Wm Minto.;
1C part 4, contains portion of Rancho El Sobrante;
#66 Plat of Sobrante 1878, W. Minto (local newspaper references)
#66A Survey map of Wildcat road by M Santee
#67 8x10 photo of 1893 McMahon survey of Sobrante
#68 1909 Final report of Rancho El Sobrante land ownership; #85, Oak Park Terrace.
1909 Final Report of the Referees in the Partition of Rancho El Sobrante, hardcopy of County Recorder filing July 10, 1909
California and Nevada Railroad, Erle C. Hanson
Length calculator: http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/length The old documents measured in chains where 1 chain is 22 yards or 66 feet. 10 chains is one furlong. One furlong is 1/8 of a mile. 8 furlongs to the mile and 3 miles to a league.
Lot 2 split history summary
|63.3||- 59.6||Foy to Teiche, 3.7 Foy to EBMUD|
|59.6||- 45.1||Teiche to Orinda Oaks, Teiche 14.5|
|14.5||- .7||Teiche to EBMUD|
|13.8||- 2.5||Teiche to Smith|
|11.3||Teiche to EMBUD|
|Teiche to Boies and Soule, etal|